Wednesday, September 23, 2009

According to Lecture 6

Video Consumption and Production.

Week 6th lecture was mainly about nowadays video consumption and production in our lives.
In my opinion, all people are consumers and producers in their lives. People can be consumers and producers in same way. Generally, we are contents consumers. In our daily lives we consume professionally created, made and have edited the contents from traditional and new manufacturers of mass-media. In our lecture it was mentioned that some time ago people only were able observe of mass-media, but not participate in its process. However, nowadays it has changed considerably. Nowadays, it is difficult to find a people which haven’t got a computer, or haven’t got access to it. I think that there are some people mainly in less developed countries. Computers are everywhere, and internet is the one reason why the computers became so popular nowadays. People all over world are consumers, because they consuming the information from the internet, which other people are making, producing.
An internet became first source for people to look for, it is much easier to look news or TV shows in internet, rather than waiting when it would be on TV and watching it with huge amount of advertisement. For instance: I prefer to find something on internet, watch it rather than watching on TV, mainly because it saves my time for other things.

Nowadays people can be always on-line. In general, it is because people can use their mobile phones to be always online. Yes, the quality is not so good, because usually the files are big, but the screen on our mobile is small for it. However, people still can watch videos on Vimeo or Youtube and be in touch with their friends with the help of mobile phone. I think that it is easier, because usually I am not caring my lap top with me, because I always haven’t got free space in my bag to it. But, I can use my mobile phone, if I need to watch a video, or write something in twitter or facebook. So, it is always help me in some ways. We can say that consumption becomes more and more personal especially with mobile systems.


As I said before, it is interesting that people were just consumers, but some time later people began producers too. I was consumer all my life before new com tech course. Two weeks ago, I became a producer, when I made my first video, and placed in on the Youtube. So, now people can watching and comment it. According to lecture 6 the films which were made by consumers for consumer viewers are called “fan-films”, because they are made by and for people who have an interest in such films. For instance such film as: StarWars(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ELvzHa7gM) I can say that people who interested in StarWars made this film for StarWars fans.

People can become a producer easy, with the help of the mobile phone camera. On the news programs, it became a popular to put the segment of video, which was recorded on mobile phone by the people who were in this place. It became popular, because people always have an access to their mobile phones, and can make a video in any time, and when the accident is happened too. I remember such videos from Tsunami in Thailand, when people are screaming and the huge wave is coming on the Phuket Island. In consequence, such videos were on many channels on TV, and in the internet websites and news.

Another aspect of consumption and production is the problem that consumers making the contents of entertainment on a mobile phone, consists that it usually looks and it seems awful. Josh Nicholas said that ,it is a lot of festivals ' cellular telephone Cinema ' have arisen for last 5 years, however at the majority is disappeared the same as the fast.
It can be deduced, that nowadays people always have an access to their mobile phones and internet. I can say that most of them were transformed from consumers to producers in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment